Healing During Addiction Recovery: It Looks Different For Everyone
There are many levels of healing during addiction treatment. During rehab and after detox, our bodies begin to heal physically. The brain begins rewiring itself, and the body starts its journey to wellness with better nutrition and exercise. Depending on how long the person was using a substance, this physical healing can take from months to years to happen.
But what about the psychological? Some people think after completing a program, their internal feelings, struggles, and emotions will completely heal. However, the recovery process is not a destination and psychological healing can take place long after leaving rehab. You’re way of living and looking at the world will take time, especially after recovery, and you need to be patient with yourself. And what is working for you in your journey may look different for someone else – and that is okay.
Here are some tips to remember about healing during your time during and after rehab:
- It’s one day at a time.
- It’s personal, unique, and looks different for each person.
- It’s often messy, uncomfortable, and unpredictable.
- It’s not a one-size-fits-all process.
- It can take many forms: strategic, holistic, medical, spiritual, clinical and more. But what works for you, is all that matters.
- It doesn’t have to happen alone.
- It can happen alongside happiness and joy.
- It’s not something you have to prove to others continuously.
- It evolves and changes over time.
- It involves being kind and compassionate to yourself.
Addiction treatment takes time, your healing process will be ever-evolving and changing, and you need to be proud of it all, even when it’s complicated and messy – because you are doing the work.
Addiction Treatment and Recovery
If you or someone you know is struggling with a mental health condition and a substance use disorder or addiction, get help now. Mental health and substance use disorders often co-occur and need to be treated simultaneously as a dual diagnosis for the best outcome in recovery. Get help today and take the first step toward restored health, a renewed spirit, and a fulfilling and enjoyable sober lifestyle. Contact us today at 1-833-2DAYLIGHT to get the help you need.